Sewing: That Little Red Dress

img_0420-1

With the run up to Christmas and so little time to do any sewing, I’ve not managed to even start on this dress.  I’m sorry.  I am quite disappointed.

I am intending to make it for my birthday night out, which is at the end of January.  There should be more than enough time to do it for then.  I have all the materials and decided on the pattern finally.  I know, It’s like a month behind but better late than never!

All the dress reveals have been amazing.  I’ve been trying to keep up with all the blogs/vlogs and Instagram reveal as they are released but I’m sure I’ve missed a few!

2017 is going to be there my sewing room will be put to use.  I intend to also start a vlog and I’m looking into that as well.  So you know that the reveal of #thelittlereddress will probably be aired on youtube!  I’m super excited but also very nervous.

The Pattern

imgres

This is the final decision as I’ve been indecisive when it came to patterns before now.  This has been a firm favourite for a few weeks so it will be getting cut tonight (so no flippin changing my mind now!).

Because it’s labelled relaxed fit and I love the shoulder details, it’s “tea dress” skirt and the waistband (there are too many reasons why I shouldn’t change my mind now!) this pattern is rocking my world.  I’ve got the material and all the notions, so I’m going to get cutting it tonight.  I’ll give you an update as I go!

The Material

31387084395_a7af805a3e_m

Beautiful red satin from Edinburgh fabrics – you’ve seen this before in my last fabric haul post.

So there’s my plans for the little red dress/ birthday dress (see smart goals) … As I said, I’ll update you with proof that I’ve cut it out and pinned it!

See you soon!

Emma

Update 3/1/17

Pattern pieces cut out!

Sewing: Sequin Time with Simple Sew’s – #017 Sophia (Update 3 of 4)

When I decided to cut out the sequin fabric with my rotary blade I had no idea how tough it was going to be, but that didn’t stop me from doing just that! Actually was that wise?

I did it.  But I’m sure my rotary blades will now a) need a sharpen with tin foil or b) need a new blade.  Oh well – a lesson learnt there.

Talking of rotary blades I may be purchasing a new one for ease of use. Spotted a fiskars blade that looks a little less fiddly in Biggar Stitches!


So after cutting out the front and back of the top I then pinned it all together and  tried it on.  I knew that I had to put darts in because I made up a toile earlier, so I did just that and then had to get my mum to straighten then up whilst I wore it!

Now I just wished I removed the sequins along the seams to ease the job for my machine (I’m sure it felt pain when stitching the sequins – I did).


Sewing the sequins was nerve racking (my first time doing sequins).  My Brother did the job, the top does need a press as the darts haven’t got the finesse finish I wanted.


I’m glad I added the lining – less jaggy!

Time is running out and rather get into a state like below, I’ve opted to wear a “bought dress” – fear not the dress will be completed for Christmas and worn then!

Trying the homemade garment on was a near death experience as the pins scratched my arm – ok, maybe not near death but still, beady sore!

The backup garment: Katya Kimono Wrap Dress

At this point, the top needs hemmed and finished off.  The skirt still needs the waistband on (which itself needs interfacing applied!! (Note to self: you need to buy blinkin’ interfacing!!)), zip applied, possibly now lined and then hemmed.

The final update should contain a picture of me wearing it! Watch this space!

Happy Sewing!

Some places I went to online for advice:

http://www.burdastyle.com/blog/sequin-savvy