Currently I’m sewing up a line of Colette’s Moneta Dress … you could say I’m obsessed (the title gives that one away!).
It all started with seeing the Moneta Party on IG way back when I first got the itch to stitch. It’s only take me a couple of years to summon up the courage to thread up the overlocker and have a go of this Jersey malarkey.
Here’s a Summery of my dresses so far!
Fabric: John Lewis – dark green and black
Sleeves – short length
First trip out was at Tantallon Castle!
Fabric: Fabric Focus, Mustard and grey knots
Sleeves – 3/4 length
Shortened bodice length and slightly shorter skirt
Made it up for #OWOP18
My mustard snag tights match up perfectly with this version!
Moneta 3 –
Fabric: Fabric Focus
Hack – scoop back
Sleeves: 3/4 length
Wore to a friends exhibit opening night!
Fabric: Fabric Focus, Sage green with floral design.
Hack – scoop back
Have to re do front bodice due to overlocker punching a hole in it 🤬
Sleeves– 3/4 sleeves
Date night with the bestie for this one!
Well that’s four so far and there’s at least another four to be sewn including a Christmas one, so watch this space and IG for more to come with other hacks (I love the scoop back hack!).
Also I am going to put a couple of other stretch/Jersey pieces in between now and the rest of the Moneta’s so you don’t think I’m a one-trick Moneta! I’ll be talking about my next few projects in my make nine 2019 post soon!
So with little over a week I decided to start the dress that I planned to not only have finished but moved on to the the project.
As you know life doesn’t always allow you plans to go swimmingly well and time can just drown with you realising how little you have left!
I bought the Lady McElroy Cotton lawn “Brushstrokes” from StitchyBee a while back.
When I saw the McCalls 7381 pattern that I received free with Love Sewing Magazine a while back, I knew it would be a simple quick make providing I followed the instructions correctly.
Building the whole thing went brilliantly well until it came to me wearing it. It was huge, it was a tent on me. Where did I go wrong?
I had one resort, take it to class! So I did! Thankfully Abi saved the day but it meant me taking in at the waist (a lot!!). But I did it, It only took a few hours and a few swear words.
So where did I go wrong? I only went by the measurements on the back of the pattern envelope and not the ones on the tissue. I can definitely go down one size on the bodice (woop woop) next time. Also for next time I’m considering sleeves and the next version in viscose. So no I’m not put off – yeah! It’s so comfortable to wear as well, especially when it comes to eating a lovely German buffet and cheesecake because of the ease and the elastic!
Ever since the plastic peg basket broke earlier this year (shattered into a thousand pieces) I’ve been meaning to sew a peg bag.
It’s been on the list for a wee while and now I’ve done it. The peg bag was fairly easy once I figured the way to do it. Another reason for doing such an easy project was to get my confidence on my sewing machine a wee boost.
Okay, there are a couple of flaws but apart from that, I’m reasonably chuffed with myself.
Next time I make one, I’ll move the hole further up, so there’s less chance of pegs escaping! I’ll also add some bias tape around the edges and take my time measuring (i.e. I will make a paper temple to avoid a patchwork “I need to finish it job” style effect).
Disclaimer: All photos are my own and all opinions are my own!
So I was invited to a 1920’s murder mystery that took place last weekend.
I scoured the internet for some sort of 1920’s dress but then remembered I had a lovely lace dress that I bought from Monsoon so that was that sorted.
Then the necklace and feather boa came from WM Armstrong store which hosts a selection of great vintage wear. The pearl necklace, I found at the Grassmarket Armstrongs and the Black Boa in the Clerk Street store.
Tempted to buy a fake cigarette and holder and long black gloves but I held off. The thought of more fancy dress never to be worn or used again was too much!
For the head-dress, I decided to make it. YES, you read right!
From Remnant Kings, I bought some stretch sequin trim. Abby, my sewing teacher kindly gave me three peacock feathers to complete the look.
It was a pretty quick process and one I’m quite happy with. I stitched the feathers in with thread and a small piece of stretch sequin to stop the bottom of the feathers from scratching my forehead. I think it took my roughly half an hour to complete it and finish it, which a huge jump from any of my current makes!
Please don’t use any photos without consent from myself- ta!