More Change!

Yeap you saw it!

It’s official, this blog is now http://www.sewdoitemma.com

I’ve been thinking about going for it for a while and have finally taken the crunch!

Also it’s my first day of my fabric buying hiatus! It gone well so far. I’ve put my time into doing this domain, house stuff and walking the dog.

In my head I’ve got hundreds of ideas with what fabric from my collection should go with what project/pattern. Sure, they’ll be limits because of meterage/yardage or what type of fabric but I’m going to start to try and categorically organise them.

This has been on the cards for ages but it’s not going to be easy with the amount of fabric I do have.

First of all, I think I’m going to set fabrics and patterns that are in my make nine.

Next I’m going to take all the fabrics out of the small Billy’s then (or maybe do a shelf at a time) measure, photograph and record each piece. Either spreadsheet it first and then add it on the Cora App, which I’ve had for yonks and not really made use of it.

Once I’ve done the fabrics, I think I’m going to go through my big four patterns as I bet there’s patterns I’ve forgot about and have either doubled with a newer style or no longer “has that sparkle”. This could be another fabric destash as well but we’ll come to that bridge when it happens!

This is going to be a long process for me as I am planning to sew a few things, some with deadlines and also I’ve got things that I need to do around the house (boo, hiss).

Ok this is quite a ramble but it’s kinda good to put it out there and then you can see the difference when it’s done.

Speak soon with hopefully some new makes!

Happy sewing ๐Ÿงต

My Sewing Room: Organise organise organise!

Well after sorting out all my pieces of fabric onto boards, it’s now time to label them so I can pick them out quickly.

I popped into one of my home bargain stores and picked up these labels. I’ll stick the self-adhesive ones onto the luggage labels. And then with a black marker I will write my code letters P M F – pattern (if the fabric has one allocated, but most of them do), meterage (how much fabric is on the board) and fabric (is it cotton, viscose, wool, jersey, etc).

 

Processed with MOLDIV
Labels should keep me right!

 

Processed with MOLDIV
All ready to go!

 

Ta-DAH!  Oh so Pretty!

 Next, we have my pattern collection. It’s really expanded over the year quite drastically! I’m blaming these pattern sales!


I had already organised the into categories: skirts, trousers, dresses, combos etc but then when I was doing dividers, it was much simpler to do them by the pattern house name (vogue, new look, simplicity, grainline studio, sew over it, simple sew and the list could go on and on!).

With the reminder of the boards, I took 1.5cm from the top of the board and made two marks. Then I drew a line and then wrote a pattern name.

 

Processed with MOLDIV
First, mark 1.5cm down from the top of the board with the ruler and pencil, then draw a line where the marks are.

 

Processed with MOLDIV
I then added the Pattern Houses by name.

 

Processed with MOLDIV
It’s all coming together.

They work a treat as they fit in my white shoe box file system for the patterns and I can hunt quickly for them too!

 

28898769711_f82d51ee95_o.jpg
I think I’m going to have to have a P.A to keep this system intact ๐Ÿ˜€

Until next time and remember – Measure twice, Cut once!

Emma